wasteland

wasteland

Thursday, November 11, 2010

My experience learning English

Learning English at the University or outside?

Learning English is no longer an option, these days everyone needs to know at least some words in this language, because not only of the globalization –but mostly because of it- English is a requirement for any job, learn English is an obligation. From artisan to businessman (and businesswoman of course), It doesn’t matter who you are, what you do or where you live, English is useful for every person. I can tell how important it is, my personal experience says that life can be a little easier knowing English.

But... What is the best place to learn this foreign language? I've learned this beautiful language in many different ways. First I started at school; I had many English teachers but none of them were nice enough to make me like their classes, and for me to learn something properly you have to like it, or at least don’t find it boring. After years trying to learn English at school – with no success at all- when I was 15 it appears the chance of travelling to New Zealand, of course I took that chance. In September of 2006 I started my journey; I went to Aspect Institute in Christchurch. I did a test and was selected to be in the Beginners class.

There I learned from phonetic, to correct pronunciation of basic words as colours and stuff like that, and verbal tenses. The classes where nothing like I was use to, the teacher was so patient, and everything we learned it was immediately practice, it wasn’t about memorise stuff, it was about give us a tool. In two weeks I manage to improve my English so much that I was promoted to the Pre-Intermediate class. My journey ended at early November of 2006.

Three years after my international experience I entered to the University, It was the best University in Chile, so I thought there English programme would be awesome, I was so upset when I entered –straggler - to my first English class and the teacher was writing the abecedary and making my classmates repeat letter after letter, It was a very disappointment experience. Of course I finished that class with good notes... about what I learned, not much I have to say. I forgot to mention that my class was the advanced one compare to the other ones.

Then at my second year at university I realize that there was another English class I could join, so I did it, I joined English IV, I was begging for this class to be better than my last one, and it was! This class was a lot like my classes at Aspect Institute,we learned new things and immediately make a practice exercise, we practice with conversations and dialogues, but the most important, everything we did, was enjoyable.

So in response to my early question, I think the better way to learn English is having a practical and enjoyable class, so we don’t have to ask where is the best part to learn, or what is the best way, because, for some people could be one way, and for others another way. Learning is a personal experience and each one of us has to find what works better for ourself.

Xoxo

Fefi

No comments:

Post a Comment